Getting Help

Information sources

  Alcohol information

Adfam offers information to families of alcohol and drug users

Alcohol Concern provides general information about alcohol, including the publications listed below, and details of alcohol advisory services. Contact:

Alcohol Concern’s Parenting and Alcohol Project has developed resources and training for alcohol as well as parenting professionals on working with problem drinking parents, to protect and improve the quality of life and opportunities of their children

Support for children & young people with PTSD

Alateen gives children the opportunity to meet with other young people in similar situations. The number for local groups can be found by contacting: 020 7403 0888 or

The Hideout provides help, information and support for children and young people on domestic violence – whether they are currently living with violence, have experienced violence in the past or if they know someone else going through it and are looking for help and information

The Carers National Association can provide information about local young carers projects 020 7490 8898

ChildLine 0800 1111

Connexions Direct can help young people with information and advice on various issues including health and relationships with family and friends 080 800 13219 or

The Health Development Agency offers health information websites for young people: Mind, Body and Soul for young people aged 14-16; Lifebytes for young people aged 11-14; Galaxy for young people aged 7-11; Welltown for young people aged 5-7

National Children’s Bureau promotes the interests and well-being of all children and young people across every aspect of their lives. Contact: 020 7843 6000 or

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) helpline 0808 800 5000

STARS (Support Therapeutic, Advocacy and Outreach Services) supports children and young people whose parents have drink and drug problems. Contact: 0115 942 2974 or or

Think About Drink (NHS site) offers information about alcohol aimed at young people

Support for parents

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) run self-help groups for people who are giving up alcohol because they have a drinking problem. Contact Head Office 01904 644026

Local Alcohol Services for support and information. There are many alcohol advice centres throughout the country. They offer a friendly, free and confidential service and will be happy to help you. Look in the telephone directory under ‘Alcohol’, phone Drinkline (0800 917 8282) or look on the services directory at for details of a centre near you.

The National Family and Parenting Institute works by researching the concerns of families and the support available, trialling new ways of providing support to families, bringing together organisations and knowledge and providing information directly to families.

Newpin is an organisation working with families to help break the cycle of destructive family behaviour. Contact: 020 7358 5900 or or

Parentline Plus offers support and information to anyone parenting a child 0808 800 2222 or

Examples of children & families services

The Chrysalis Project works in West Sussex with children and families where parental drug and alcohol misuse is an issue. Contact: 01903 237 482 or

Cosmic offers support in Haringey, London to children and their families who are affected by a parent’s alcohol or drug misuse. Contact: 020 8800 6999 or free helpline 0800 389 5257 (children only) or

The Family Alcohol Service works in Camden, London with families that are affected by parental drinking. The service works with both the drinking and the non-drinking family members including children. Contact: 020 7383 3817